Bob Summerwill, ETC Cooperative's Executive Director, will be speaking today at ETHDenver, the largest and longest running Ethereum event in the world, at 9 AM CST, 11 AM EST, 16 HRS UTC.
Bob's talk will center around the argument for proof of work (POW) as a consensus mechanism. After Ethereum's migration to proof of stake (POS), there seems to linger the idea in some circles that proof of work based Nakamoto Consensus, the original and most important invention in the blockchain industry, is in some sort of retreat or path to be considered "old technology". But this is far from true.
Bob's talk will be titled "Cypherpunk Beginnings and The Argument for Proof of Work" and will cover the following topics:
- Who were the Cypherpunks and what were their objectives
- Cryptocurrencies original purpose
- Cypherpunk's goals: Privacy, sound money, smart contracts, and trust minimization
- The invention of proof of work as a trust minimization technology
- Ways in which POW and POS are similar and dissimilar
- Ways in which POW is superior to POS systems
- The benefits of POW: Decentralization, censorship resistance, permissionlessness, and hard money
This will be a devil's advocate talk which should be intellectually stimulating and an interesting counterpoint to accepted mainstream positions on POW and POS.
The speech will take place at ETHDenver today at the $Spork Castle, 4655 Humboldt Street, Denver, Colorado, USA.
The event will be live streamed here: https://www.twitch.tv/ethereumdenver
For more details, please go here.
Thank you for reading this article!
To learn more about the ETC Cooperative go to: https://etccooperative.org
To learn more about ETC go to: https://ethereumclassic.org
To learn more about ETHDenver go to: https://www.ethdenver.com/